Date: Tuesday, 17th April 2018
Contributor: Pat Whelan - Education Officer
Dedicated Adult Summer School
The Royal Scottish Pipe Band Summer School 2018 will be held in Glasgow Gaelic School from Monday 30th July until Friday 3rd August. The 2018 Summer School is aimed at encouraging young pipers, snare and tenor drummers and drum majors to fulfil their potential as stars of the future in the pipe band scene.
Summer School for Pipers and Snare Drummers takes place between Monday 30th July until Friday 3rd August at a cost of £180.00
We have a new element in the programme for this year. We are looking to attract adult pipers and snare drummers who, if competing, would be at Grade 3 or 4 competition level. However, if not competing, you would also be welcome.
Our motivation for establishing a dedicated Adult Summer School is quite simple. Adult players form the main body of the RSPBA Membership. Our focus will be directed towards providing an opportunity for adult players in Grades 3 and 4 to come along and gain valuable knowledge and skills which will allow them to review their own playing performance. As a result, their ability to lead and tutor within the bands in which they play, will be enhanced.
The most abundant area for local tuition within the RSPBA member groups is situated within grades three and four; where new players first experience a level of tuition and also encounter standards for performance.
The level of tuition within these bands should be as high as possible in order to offer a positive environment for the learner and a motivation for them to remain with their first Band and to assist in bringing its standards to new heights in the future.
To this end it is important that Band Leaders/ Tutors and players, within these grades, have the opportunity every now and then to revisit their own performance, to consider their strengths and weaknesses and to seek learning opportunities which develop their knowledge and understanding of the instrument and the performance of pipe band music.
This week’s course is designed to offer such an opportunity through the following key areas:
- Designed specifically for, and open to all adult performers
- Specifically directed towards those players in Grades four and three
- A one-week course, tailored to meet the needs of the student, with a dedicated group tutor
- A programme focused around the individual’s personal goals with one to one sessions aimed at supporting players to achieve those goals
- A structured guide through the principles of music theory
- Specific sessions on care and maintenance of the instrument
- Individual sessions on management of tuning the instrument
- Agreed group/individual targets for practical performance within the week
To register your place complete our 2018 Summer School form
<< All News